Friday, November 21, 2008


Here's Geof. being a cheese ball with (from L to right) his mom, prego sister Ellynn, sister Meagan, Meagan's little girl Hazel, and little brother Brind (it was Brind's bday).
I listen to the conference talks on Geof.'s iPod when I go running and it's so wonderful. I wasn't able to watch much of conference (since we were in Disneyworld) and I've decided that my favorite talk so far was "Come to Zion" by Elder D. Todd Christofferson.
Here's my favorite part of the whole talk: "We might ask ourselves, living as many of us do in societies that worship possessions and pleasures, whether we are remaining aloof from covetousness and the lust to acquire more and more of this world's goods. Materialism is just one more manifestation of the idolatry and pride that characterize Babylon. Perhaps we can learn to be content with what is sufficient for our needs.
The Apostle Paul warned Timothy against people who suppose "that gain is godliness" (1 Timothy 6:5).
Said he, "We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
"And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" (1 Timothy 6:7–8).






2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing that quote, I'll have to go back and read that talk. Jeremy and I haven't been too well off lately either, and while it has its hard moments it has definitely been a blessing. It is an eye opener, makes you humble, and helps you realize what's really important. I hope things turn around for you soon though!

Emily said...

Great post Darla, you really are able to see the good in life despite life's crazy circumstances. We were in Anchorage this weekend and I thought about you a lot as we were driving around. We ate lunch at the Arctic Road Runner, have you been there? It was quirky Alaskan and had yummy burgers! As we were flying down there Derek was dying to find out what the pilots with Era Aviation get paid! He thinks Geof. should come up here and fly for awhile, and I do too! It could be a good jumping off point you know? and could easily be a temporary stepping stone sort of deal, so see it wouldn't be that bad?! See??!! No pressure!